Challenge Questions PPL/IFR Sec 4.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Challenge Questions PPL/IFR Sec 4.

Post  Admin on Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:50 am

Question: 4833 Subject Code: I05
When airspeed is decreased in a turn, what must be done to maintain level flight?
A) Decrease the angle of bank and/or increase the angle of attack.
B) Increase the angle of attack.
C) Increase the angle of bank and/or decrease the angle of attack.

Question: 4865 Subject Code: I05
Which instrument provides the most pertinent information (primary) for bank control in straight and level flight?
A) Attitude indicator.
B) Turn and slip indicator.
C) Heading indicator.

Question: 4843 Subject Code: I03
The rate of turn at any airspeed is dependent upon
A) centrifugal force.
B) the vertical lift component.
C) the horizontal lift component.

Question: 4845 Subject Code: I05
As power is increased to enter a 500 feet per minute rate of climb in straight flight, which instruments are primary for pitch, bank, and power respectively?
A) Airspeed indicator, heading indicator, and manifold pressure gauge or tachometer.
B) Airspeed indicator, attitude indicator, and manifold pressure gauge or tachometer.
C) VSI, attitude indicator, and airspeed indicator.

Question: 4906 Subject Code: I05
Approximately what percent of the indicated vertical speed should be used to determine the number of feet to lead the level off from a climb to a specific altitude?
A) 25 percent.
B) 20 percent.
C) 10 percent.

Question: 4879 Subject Code: I05
What would be the indication on the VSI during entry into a 500 FPM actual descent from level flight if the static ports were iced over?
A) The indication would be in reverse of the actual rate of descent (500 FPM climb).
B) The initial indication would be a climb, then descent at a rate in excess of 500 FPM.
C) The VSI pointer would remain at zero regardless of the actual rate of descent.

Question: 4897 Subject Code: I05
If a half standard rate turn is maintained, how much time would be required to turn clockwise from a heading of 090° to a heading of 180°?
A) 30 seconds.
B) 1 minute 30 seconds.
C) 1 minute.

Question: 4835 Subject Code: I05
Which condition during taxi is an indication that an attitude indicator is unreliable?
A) The horizon bar tilts more than 5° while making taxi turns.
B) The horizon bar does not align itself with the miniature airplane after warmup.
C) The horizon bar vibrates during warmup.

Question: 4938 Subject Code: I05
(Refer to figure 147.) Which is the correct sequence for recovery from the unusual attitude indicated?
A) Level wings, add power, lower nose, descend to original attitude, and heading.
B) Add power, lower nose, level wings, return to original attitude and heading.
C) Stop turn by raising right wing and add power at the same time, lower the nose, and return to original attitude and heading.

Question: 4866 Subject Code: I05
Which instruments are considered primary and supporting for bank, respectively, when establishing a level standard rate turn?
A) Turn coordinator and attitude indicator.
B) Turn coordinator and heading indicator.
C) Attitude indicator and turn coordinator.

Question: 4937 Subject Code: I05
(Refer to figure 146.) Identify the system that has failed and determine a corrective action to return the airplane to straight and level flight.
A) Vacuum system has failed; reduce power, roll left to level wings, and pitchup to reduce airspeed.
B) Static/pitot system is blocked; lower the nose and level the wings to level flight attitude by use of attitude indicator.
C) Electrical system has failed; reduce power, roll left to level wings, and raise the nose to reduce airspeed.

Question: 4890 Subject Code: I05
What should be the indication on the magnetic compass when you roll into a standard rate turn to the left from a south heading in the Northern Hemisphere?
A) The compass will initially indicate a turn to the right.
B) The compass will remain on south for a short time, then gradually catch up to the magnetic heading of the aircraft.
C) The compass will indicate a turn to the left, but at a faster rate than is actually occurring.

Question: 4926 Subject Code: I05
To level off from a descent maintaining the descending airspeed, the pilot should lead the desired altitude by approximately
A) 50 feet.
B) 60 feet.
C) 20 feet.

Question: 4888 Subject Code: I05
On what headings will the magnetic compass read most accurately during a level 360° turn, with a bank of approximately 15°?
A) 135° through 225°.
B) 180° and 0°.
C) 90° and 270°.

Question: 4889 Subject Code: I05
What causes the northerly turning error in a magnetic compass?
A) Centrifugal force acting on the compass card.
B) Coriolis force at the mid latitudes.
C) The magnetic dip characteristic.

Question: 4924 Subject Code: I05
To enter a constant airspeed descent from level cruising flight, and maintain cruising airspeed, the pilot should
A) first reduce power, then adjust the pitch using the attitude indicator as a reference to establish a specific rate on the VSI.
B) first adjust the pitch attitude to a descent using the attitude indicator as a reference, then adjust the power to maintain the cruising airspeed.
C) simultaneously reduce power and adjust the pitch using the attitude indicator as a reference to maintain the cruising airspeed.

Question: 4896 Subject Code: I05
If a standard rate turn is maintained, how long would it take to turn 180°?
A) 2 minutes.
B) 3 minutes.
C) 1 minute.

Question: 4901 Subject Code: I05
If a 180° steep turn is made to the right and the aircraft is rolled out to straight and level flight by visual reference, the miniature aircraft will
A) show a slight climb and turn to the left.
B) show a slight skid and climb to the right.
C) show a slight climb and turn to the right.

Question: 4834 Subject Code: I05
On the taxi check, the magnetic compass should
A) exhibit the same number of degrees of dip as the latitude.
B) swing opposite to the direction of turn when turning from north.
C) swing freely and indicate known headings.

Question: 4936 Subject Code: I05
(Refer to figure 145.) What is the correct sequence for recovery from the unusual attitude indicated?
A) Reduce power, level the wings, bring pitch attitude to level flight.
B) Reduce power, increase back elevator pressure, and level the wings.
C) Level the wings, raise the nose of the aircraft to level flight attitude, and obtain desired airspeed.

Question: 4856 Subject Code: I05
What indication is presented by the miniature aircraft of the turn coordinator?
A) Quality of the turn.
B) Direct indication of the bank attitude and the quality of the turn.
C) Indirect indication of the bank attitude.

Question: 4851 Subject Code: I05
What is the initial primary bank instrument when establishing a level standard rate turn?
A) Heading indicator.
B) Turn coordinator.
C) Attitude indicator.

Question: 4893 Subject Code: I05
What should be the indication on the magnetic compass as you roll into a standard rate turn to the left from a west heading in the Northern Hemisphere?
A) The compass will initially indicate a turn to the right.
B) The compass will remain on west for a short time, then gradually catch up to the magnetic heading of the aircraft.
C) The compass will indicate the approximate correct magnetic heading if the roll into the turn is smooth.

Question: 4874 Subject Code: I05
Which instrument is considered primary for power as the airspeed reaches the desired value during change of airspeed in a level turn?
A) Altimeter.
B) Attitude indicator.
C) Airspeed indicator.

Question: 4873 Subject Code: I05
If an airplane is in an unusual flight attitude and the attitude indicator has exceeded its limits, which instruments should be relied on to determine pitch attitude before starting recovery?
A) VSI and airspeed to detect approaching VSI or VMO.
B) Turn indicator and VSI.
C) Airspeed and altimeter.

Question: 4914 Subject Code: I03
Rate of turn can be increased and radius of turn decreased by
A) decreasing airspeed and increasing the bank.
B) increasing airspeed and increasing the bank.
C) decreasing airspeed and shallowing the bank.

Question: 4921 Subject Code: I05
The displacement of a turn coordinator during a coordinated turn will
A) increase as angle of bank increases.
B) remain constant for a given bank regardless of airspeed.
C) indicate the angle of bank.

Question: 4887 Subject Code: I05
What should be the indication on the magnetic compass as you roll into a standard rate turn to the right from a south heading in the Northern Hemisphere?
A) The compass will indicate a turn to the right, but at a faster rate than is actually occurring.
B) The compass will initially indicate a turn to the left.
C) The compass will remain on south for a short time, then gradually catch up to the magnetic heading of the aircraft.

Question: 4929 Subject Code: I05
While cruising at 190 knots, you wish to establish a climb at 160 knots. When entering the climb (full panel), it would be proper to make the initial pitch change by increasing back elevator pressure until the
A) airspeed indication reaches 160 knots.
B) attitude indicator, airspeed, and vertical speed indicate a climb.
C) attitude indicator shows the approximate pitch attitude appropriate for the 160 knot climb.

Question: 4928 Subject Code: I05
While cruising at 160 knots, you wish to establish a climb at 130 knots. When entering the climb (full panel), it is proper to make the initial pitch change by increasing back elevator pressure until the
A) vertical speed indication reaches the predetermined rate of climb.
B) attitude indicator shows the approximate pitch attitude appropriate for the 130 knot climb.
C) attitude indicator, airspeed, and vertical speed indicate a climb.

Question: 4838 Subject Code: I05
What is the primary bank instrument once a standard rate turn is established?
A) Attitude indicator.
B) Turn coordinator.
C) Heading indicator.

Question: 4925 Subject Code: I05
To level off at an airspeed higher than the descent speed, the addition of power should be made, assuming a 500 FPM rate of descent, at approximately
A) 150 to 200 feet above the desired altitude.
B) 50 to 100 feet above the desired altitude.
C) 100 to 150 feet above the desired altitude.

Question: 4839 Subject Code: I05
What does the miniature aircraft of the turn coordinator directly display?
A) Angle of bank.
B) Angle of bank and rate of turn.
C) Rate of roll and rate of turn.

Question: 4840 Subject Code: I05
What is the correct sequence in which to use the three skills used in instrument flying?
A) Cross check, instrument interpretation, and aircraft control.
B) Aircraft control, cross check, and instrument interpretation.
C) Instrument interpretation, cross check, and aircraft control.

Question: 4894 Subject Code: I05
What should be the indication on the magnetic compass as you roll into a standard rate turn to the left from a north heading in the Northern Hemisphere?
A) The compass will remain on north for a short time, then gradually catch up to the magnetic heading of the aircraft.
B) The compass will indicate a turn to the left, but at a faster rate than is actually occurring.
C) The compass will initially indicate a turn to the right.

Question: 4870 Subject Code: I05
What force causes an airplane to turn?
A) Vertical lift component.
B) Horizontal lift component.
C) Rudder pressure or force around the vertical axis.

Question: 4895 Subject Code: I05
If a half standard rate turn is maintained, how long would it take to turn 360°?
A) 1 minute.
B) 2 minutes.
C) 4 minutes.

Question: 4878 Subject Code: I05
When airspeed is increased in a turn, what must be done to maintain a constant altitude?
A) Decrease the angle of attack.
B) Decrease the angle of bank.
C) Increase the angle of bank and/or decrease the angle of attack.

Question: 4855 Subject Code: I05
What are the three fundamental skills involved in attitude instrument flying?
A) Instrument interpretation, trim application, and aircraft control.
B) Cross check, emphasis, and aircraft control.
C) Cross check, instrument interpretation, and aircraft control.

Question: 4867 Subject Code: I05
While recovering from an unusual flight attitude without the aid of the attitude indicator, approximate level pitch attitude is reached when the
A) airspeed and altimeter stop their movement and the VSI reverses its trend.
B) airspeed arrives at cruising speed, the altimeter reverses its trend, and the vertical speed stops its movement.
C) altimeter and vertical speed reverse their trend and the airspeed stops its movement.

Question: 4850 Subject Code: I05
What is the primary pitch instrument when establishing a constant altitude standard rate turn?
A) Airspeed indicator.
B) VSI.
C) Altimeter.

Question: 4930 Subject Code: I05
If while in level flight, it becomes necessary to use an alternate source of static pressure vented inside the airplane, which of the following variations in instrument indications should the pilot expect?
A) The altimeter will read lower than normal, airspeed lower than normal, and the VSI will momentarily show a descent.
B) The altimeter will read lower than normal, airspeed greater than normal, and the VSI will momentarily show a climb and then a descent.
C) The altimeter will read higher than normal, airspeed greater than normal, and the VSI will momentarily show a climb.

Question: 4836 Subject Code: I05
What instruments are considered supporting bank instruments during a straight, stabilized climb at a constant rate?
A) Attitude indicator and turn coordinator.
B) Heading indicator and attitude indicator.
C) Heading indicator and turn coordinator.

Question: 4871 Subject Code: I05
Which instrument provides the most pertinent information (primary) for pitch control in straight and level flight?
A) Attitude indicator.
B) Airspeed indicator.
C) Altimeter.

Question: 4853 Subject Code: I05
What instrument(s) is(are) supporting bank instrument when entering a constant airspeed climb from straight and level flight?
A) Attitude indicator and turn coordinator.
B) Turn coordinator and heading indicator.
C) Heading indicator.

Question: 4892 Subject Code: I05
What should be the indication on the magnetic compass as you roll into a standard rate turn to the right from a northerly heading in the Northern Hemisphere?
A) The compass will indicate a turn to the right, but at a faster rate than is actually occurring.
B) The compass will initially indicate a turn to the left.
C) The compass will remain on north for a short time, then gradually catch up to the magnetic heading of the aircraft.

Question: 4891 Subject Code: I05
What should be the indication on the magnetic compass as you roll into a standard rate turn to the right from a westerly heading in the Northern Hemisphere?
A) The compass will initially show a turn in the opposite direction, then turn to a northerly indication but lagging behind the actual heading of the aircraft.
B) The compass will remain on a westerly heading for a short time, then gradually catch up to the actual heading of the aircraft.
C) The compass will indicate the approximate correct magnetic heading if the roll into the turn is smooth.

Question: 4942 Subject Code: I05
(Refer to figure 151.) What is the flight attitude? One instrument has malfunctioned.
A) Level turn to the left.
B) Level turn to the right.
C) Climbing turn to the right.

Question: 4927 Subject Code: I05
During recoveries from unusual attitudes, level flight is attained the instant
A) the horizon bar on the attitude indicator is exactly overlapped with the miniature airplane.
B) the altimeter and airspeed needles stop prior to reversing their direction of movement.
C) a zero rate of climb is indicated on the VSI.

Question: 4858 Subject Code: I05
What is the primary bank instrument while transitioning from straight and level flight to a standard rate turn to the left?
A) Attitude indicator.
B) Turn coordinator (miniature aircraft).
C) Heading indicator.

Question: 4844 Subject Code: I03
During a skidding turn to the right, what is the relationship between the component of lift, centrifugal force, and load factor?
A) Centrifugal force is less than horizontal lift and the load factor is increased.
B) Centrifugal force and horizontal lift are equal and the load factor is decreased.
C) Centrifugal force is greater than horizontal lift and the load factor is increased.

Question: 4877 Subject Code: I05
What should be the indication on the magnetic compass as you roll into a standard rate turn to the left from an east heading in the Northern Hemisphere?
A) The compass will remain on east for a short time, then gradually catch up to the magnetic heading of the aircraft.
B) The compass will indicate the approximate correct magnetic heading if the roll into the turn is smooth.
C) The compass will initially indicate a turn to the right.

Question: 4885 Subject Code: I05
What pretakeoff check should be made of a vacuum driven heading indicator in preparation for an IFR flight?
A) After 5 minutes, set the indicator to the magnetic heading of the aircraft and check for proper alignment after taxi turns.
B) After 5 minutes, check that the heading indicator card aligns itself with the magnetic heading of the aircraft.
C) Determine that the heading indicator does not precess more than 2° in 5 minutes of ground operation.

Question: 4847 Subject Code: I03
What indications are displayed by the miniature aircraft of a turn coordinator?
A) Indirect indication of bank angle and pitch attitude.
B) Direct indication of bank angle and pitch attitude.
C) Rate of roll and rate of turn.

Question: 4940 Subject Code: I05
(Refer to figure 149.) What is the flight attitude? One system which transmits information to the instruments has malfunctioned.
A) Level turn to the right.
B) Level turn to the left.
C) Straight and level flight.

Question: 4837 Subject Code: I05
What instruments are primary for pitch, bank, and power, respectively, when transitioning into a constant airspeed climb from straight and level flight?
A) Attitude indicator, heading indicator, and manifold pressure gauge or tachometer.
B) Attitude indicator for both pitch and bank; airspeed indicator for power.
C) Vertical speed, attitude indicator, and manifold pressure or tachometer.

Question: 4939 Subject Code: I05
(Refer to figure 148.) What is the flight attitude? One system which transmits information to the instruments has malfunctioned.
A) Level turn to left.
B) Climbing turn to left.
C) Climbing turn to right.

Question: 4842 Subject Code: I05
What pretakeoff check should be made of the attitude indicator in preparation for an IFR flight?
A) The miniature airplane should erect and become stable within 5 minutes.
B) The horizon bar should erect and become stable within 5 minutes.
C) The horizon bar does not vibrate during warmup.

Question: 4863 Subject Code: I05
As power is reduced to change airspeed from high to low cruise in level flight, which instruments are primary for pitch, bank, and power, respectively?
A) Altimeter, attitude indicator, and airspeed indicator.
B) Attitude indicator, heading indicator, and manifold pressure gauge or tachometer.
C) Altimeter, heading indicator, and manifold pressure gauge or tachometer.

Question: 4886 Subject Code: I05
What should be the indication on the magnetic compass as you roll into a standard rate turn to the right from an easterly heading in the Northern Hemisphere?
A) The compass will indicate the approximate correct magnetic heading if the roll into the turn is smooth.
B) The compass will remain on east for a short time, then gradually catch up to the magnetic heading of the aircraft.
C) The compass will initially indicate a turn to the left.
Admin
Admin

Info Rating : 1

View user profile http://aviationtheory.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top